Seasonal Routine Care Recommendations:
VLAC-EH FALL VACCINE RECOMENDATIONS
Even though most of us don't want to think about the cold that is ahead, it is that time again to plan for your horse(s) fall care!
As with previous years, when administering 3 or more vaccines we recommend splitting the vaccine appointments into 2, approximately 2 weeks apart, to minimize vaccine reactions. We offer many different vaccine combinations, when you call VLAC-EH we can assist in making an individualized plan that best suits you and your horse. Our team recommends the following core and risk-based vaccines:
If your horse has not had a particular vaccine before, then they will likely require an initial series to build up adequate immunity.
- Core Vaccines:
- West Nile
- Eastern/Western Encephalitis
- Potomac Horse Fever
- Risk-Based Vaccines
- Influenza (Flu)
- Equine Herpes Virus 1 and 4 (Rhinopneumonitis)
VLAC-EH would like to bring to owner’s attention the additional recommendations and offerings below:
- Fecal testing is still as important as ever to prevent parasite resistance on your farm. Be sure to submit a fecal egg count on each horse prior to deworming (preferably 12 weeks after the last dewormer administration). This will allow VLAC to come up with a deworming protocol individualized to each horse. Keep in mind we only need 1 fecal ball in a zip lock bag labeled with the horse’s name, date of last deworming, and which product was used.
- Dental Exam/Float oral exam with sedation and a full-mouth speculum should be preformed once to twice yearly in most horses. After most exams we often remove (float) sharp enamel points from the tooth surface.
- Annual Physical & Screening Blood Testing (CBC/Chemistry) to establish a baseline for each horse for future reference or to catch an early change that might be of concern. We are offering 30% discount on physicals and 30% discount on CBC/Chemistry’s performed at fall shots appointments.
- Lyme Titer Testing many horses can carry Lyme Disease without showing any symptoms at all. It is a good idea to track each year to monitor changes in exposure. It is also recommended prior to vaccinating.
- Annual Vitamin E and Selenium Testing is highly recommended for all horses, as we have seen an increase over the past few years in the number of horses in our practice area with low Vitamin E and Selenium. Low Vitamin E and Selenium can cause drastic change in a horse’s attitude, performance, and overall well-being.
- Insurance Exams VLAC-EH still offers discounted physicals for clients enrolled in the SmartPak ColiCare Program and Arenus Colic Assurance Program. These are wellness programs that provide up to $7,500-$10,000 (program specific) in colic surgery reimbursement. It brings together the best hindgut supplementation by SmartPak and Arenus with annual wellness care through VLAC-EH to help keep your horse happy and healthy.
For more information please visit the following:
We are offering a 3% discount for fall services (vaccines, teeth float, sheath cleaning, coggins, fecal) to those who pay at time of service with cash or check.
If your horse is located at a boarding facility, please let the barn manager/owner know what vaccines and services you would like your horse to receive. Please try to coordinate a vaccine appointment with all boarders. Do not hesitate to contact the office if you have further questions or concerns regarding fall care or our recommendations!