Seasonal Routine Care Recommendations:
VLAC-EH FALL VACCINE RECOMENDATIONS
Here we are again, at the end of summer and winter right around the corner! VLAC-EH recommends fall boosters for Potomac Horse Fever, West Nile, EWT & Flu/Rhino. If your horse has already received a mid-summer Potomac booster than you can opt out of that vaccine. EWT & West Nile remain on the list due to the ever-growing number of confirmed cases or confirmed pools of mosquitoes with EEE and West Nile in our area. Eastern Encephalitis, Western Encephalitis, and West Nile vaccines are highly effective in preventing infection. At the same time, we do not have effective treatment modalities to prevent mortality from such infections. Ideally, we would split up the vaccinations into two appointments, especially if you are including the Lyme vaccine.
For the VLAC-EH 2020 Vaccine Recommendation Informational sheet please follow this link: 2020-vaccine-recomendations.pdf
VLAC-EH would like to bring to owner’s attention the additional recommendations and offerings below:
- Lyme vaccine, as it is the only preventative against Lyme positive ticks, which are ultimately increasing in our area. For those not vaccinated, we recommend pulling a Lyme titer and only vaccinate once a negative titer is established. The initial series is 3 vaccines given 1 month apart, then booster twice a year in the spring and fall.
- Fecal testing is still as important as ever to prevent parasite resistance on your farm. Be sure to submit a fecal egg count on each horse prior to deworming (preferably 12 weeks after the last dewormer administration). This will allow VLAC to come up with a deworming protocol individualized to each horse. Keep in mind we only need 1 fecal ball in a zip lock bag labeled with the horse’s name, date of last deworming, and which product was used.
- Annual Physical & Screening Blood Testing (CBC/Chemistry) to establish a baseline for each horse for future reference or to catch an early change that might be of concern. We are offering 30% discount on physicals and 20% discount on CBC/Chemistry’s performed at fall shots appointments.
- Annual Vitamin E and Selenium Testing is highly recommended for all horses, as we have seen an increase over the past few years in the number of horses in our practice area with low Vitamin E and Selenium. Low Vitamin E and Selenium can cause drastic change in a horse’s attitude, performance, and overall well-being. It’s important to ensure each horse is on effective supplements during the wintertime since there are no grazing opportunities to increase these levels.
- VLAC-EH still offers discounted physicals for clients enrolled in the SmartPak ColiCare Program and Arenus Colic Assurance Program. These are wellness programs that provide up to $7,500-$10,000 (program specific) in colic surgery reimbursement. It brings together the best hindgut supplementation by SmartPak and Arenus with annual wellness care through VLAC-EH to help keep your horse happy and healthy.
We are offering a 3% discount for fall services (vaccines, teeth float, sheath cleaning, coggins, fecal) to those who pay at time of service with cash or check.
If your horse is located at a boarding facility, please let the barn manager/owner know what vaccines and services you would like your horse to receive. Please try to coordinate a vaccine appointment with all boarders. Do not hesitate to contact the office if you have further questions or concerns regarding fall care or our recommendations!